Soap Studio The Flash (Season 1) Special Edition 1:12 action figure REVIEW!
The Flash is the name of several fictional superheroes appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. Created by writer Gardner Fox and artist Harry Lampert, the original Flash first appeared in Flash Comics #1 (cover date January 1940/release month November 1939).
Nicknamed the "Scarlet Speedster", all incarnations of the Flash possess "super speed", the ability to run, move, and think extremely fast, superhuman reflexes, peak physical strength, the ability to alter certain laws of physics as well as time travel!
There have been four different characters who have assumed the power of the "speed force" and have carried the Flash's mantle throughout DC's history: college athlete Jay Garrick (1940–1951, 1961–present), forensic scientist Barry Allen (1956–1985, 2008–present), Barry's nephew Wally West (1986–2011, 2016–present), and Barry's grandson Bart Allen (2006–2007).
Each "Flash" has been a key member of at least one of DC's main superhero teams- the Justice Society of America, the Justice League, and the Teen Titans.
The Flash plays a crucial part to the storyline of DC Comics and has been adapted to numerous DC films, video games, animated series, and live-action television shows.
Barry Allen has been portrayed by Rod Haase for the 1979 television special Legends of the Superheroes, John Wesley Shipp and Grant Gustin in the 1990 The Flash series and the 2014 The Flash series, respectively, as well as by Ezra Miller in the DC Extended Universe series of films, beginning with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016).
Soap Studio's The Flash figure is based on the "Arrowverse" CW character in Season 1, who is portrayed by Gustin.
The Flash comes packaged in a window box panel, where the figure is shown alongside some graphic art. I dig the design and feel of it all- simple, no frills and straight to the point.
The Flash isn't a character that you'd think would come stocked with accessories, but thankfully Soap Studios went all out with their version.
This is the "special edition" version which comes with some extras:
. 4 Lightning effects . 1 Belt . 1 pair of shoes . 1 Pair of fists . 1 Pair of relaxed hands . 1 Pair of straight hands . 1 open-palm left hand
. 1 Unmasked Barry Allen head sculpt (special edition) . 1 Cowl (special edition)
I had actually pre-ordered both The Flash and the Arrow figures, and both of them had been shipped to me. But my Arrow figure came with a busted leg- the peg attaching the right foot to the right leg was broken into pieces even before I cracked open the box.
Spoke to a Soap Studio about it, and they have kindly offered to ship out another figure, and in return I'll send back the damaged one to them.
Despite my initial disappointment (I had been waiting for these figures for almost a year!) I appreciate the fact that Soap Studio had taken the effort to quickly address my complaint and offer a solution. Perhaps Mezco Toyz's customer service can take a leaf out of Soap Studio's book here?
But what I will do for this review is list down both the pros and cons of this Flash figure. As this is the first of two figures of their 1:12 line, constructive criticism will be good for the company in order for them to improve on their product in the future.
1. Although I was a bit worried about whether or not Flash would scale well with other 1:12 scale figures, I quite like the slim body Soap Studio chose to go along with.
2. The costume's colour schemes and designs are on point, and match very well with the actual Flash from the CW TV series
3. The headsculpt is actually pretty decent, and does look at Grant Gustin (especially at side angles).
1. It may just be me, but the base body for the Flash (as well as the Arrow) seems a wee bit fragile compared to SHF, Mafex or Mezco lines. If you mess around with the Flash and then grab a Mezco, you can immediately feel the difference it weight between both figures.
2. The pegs for the Flash are a cause for concern. Unlike other lines, they are very thin and don't feel very sturdy. Judging from the defective Arrow that I received, the pegs look like they may break with time and overuse. I would suggest Soap Studio either figure out better alternatives for the base bodies of their figures; or include additional pegs as accessories for each figure in the event that they do break.
3. While the cloth material for the Flash does not really hinder his articulation, I am concerned as to whether it can withstand certain poses. I stretched his legs a few times and found out that there was a tiny hole in the suit:
1. Flash is almost as articulate as Mezco, Marvel Legends figures and much better than figures from the DC Collectibles' line.
2. He has a really good waist swivel and ab crunch
1. The use of pegs instead of ball joints limits the movements and poseability of the neck, hands and feet.
2. Having a ball-jointed neck would have been much better instead of the one piece they gave which had the heads attached to the neck.
The Flash is able to execute some pretty sweet moves despite some limitations, but as I said earlier, there is room for improvement.
Flash isn't perfect as a figure, and there are things to improve on. It would be quite unfair to expect Soap Studio to be as good as Mezco Toyz or SHF or even Mafex at this stage.
But, having said that it is a good first figure, and the pros outweigh the cons.
Soap Studios should take the feedback on Flash and Arrow and use it to come up with better figures for the 1:12 scale line in the future.
This line by Soap Studio has promise and potential to be something really big, provided they take notes.
I'm a "critical fan". For now, I do believe it is worth to invest in this line and see what they can come up with.
If you're a Flash (CW version) fan, I would recommend this figure.
But the price point may be an issue in the future for some collectors.
BBTS is selling the special edition for US$109.99 (RM447.10) and the regular version for US$79.99 (RM325.15).
You can also get in touch with Soap Studio directly to purchase the figure.
OVERALL SCORE- 7.7/10
Like my review? Leave a comment below!
Please like, share and subscribe to The Abah-Geek!
#theflash #soapstudio #112scalefigure #Arrowverse #BarryAllen #GrantGustin #DCComics #DCUniverse #Arrow #GreenArrow #CW